Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Stew
March 29, 2019
- 4 tablespoons grape seed or coconut oil
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 7 carrots (thinly sliced coins)
- 2 celery stalks (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 2 cups raw red lentils (rinsed)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (toasted and ground)
- 1 teaspoon coriander (toasted and ground)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 sweet potato (peeled and finely diced; about 1 cup)
- bunch black kale (finely shredded)
- In a heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat, add about 4 tablespoons of grape seed or coconut oil. Once the oil is shimmering and hot, add the onion. Season with salt and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 more minute. Add in the rinsed lentils and cook for about 2 minutes, toasting in the oil. Add the cumin seeds, coriander, chipotle chili flakes, and turmeric, and continue to toast for another minute, or until fragrant. Add the water or vegetable broth and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very low heat and gently simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Carefully stir in the sweet potato and kale. Cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked through but not mushy.
- Once cooked, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.