Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
March 10, 2019
- 3 Pounds ripe plum tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 Cups chopped yellow onions (about 2 small onions or 1 large)
- 6 Garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounce can of plum tomatoes with liquid
- 4 cups of fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 Teaspoon of fresh (or dried) thyme leaves
- 1 Quart of chicken or vegetable stock
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/4 of crushed red pepper flakes if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss together the fresh tomatoes and 1/4 olive oil. Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, sauté the onions, garlic and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken (or vegetable) stock. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Use a hand blender to blend thoroughly. Add sea salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a basil leaf or a sprinkle of chopped basil.