- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or grapeseed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-2 wide Japanese eggplants
- 1-2 wide zucchini
- 1-2 wide yellow summer squash
- 3 bell peppers (1 red, 1 orange, 1 yellow or all the same color)
- 1 red onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a skillet over medium heat place coconut oil and add onions and stir until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Use a 9x13 casserole pan and spray with olive oil spray and lightly cover bottom. In a separate bowl, mix together tomato paste, sautéed onions and garlic, water, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste until combined. Place the mixture on the bottom of the casserole pan evenly.
- Using a mandolin, slice the eggplant, zucchini, yellow summer squash, and red onion so they are roughly the same size. Open and clean outside of bell peppers and cut same size circles with a knife or cookie cutter. Place in a sequence the cut circles of vegetables in a line maintaining a consistent order until the pan is filled.
- Brush or spray the top with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and thyme leaves. Cover the dish with a piece of parchment paper, trimmed enough to fit inside the dish and cover the vegetables. Bake for about 4 minutes or until fully roasted.