Lemon Squares (Nut Free)
December 25, 2018
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/3 cup ghee or coconut oil room temp
- 1 egg room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice about 4 lemons
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 3 eggs and 1 yolk
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut flour
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8” baking dish with parchment paper on the bottom and up the sides.
- To make the base, whisk together wet ingredients until smooth (or use an electric mixer), then stir dry ingredients in until well combined. Chill if necessary to form a dough (5-10 mins). Press crust into bottom of parchment paper evenly, then poke all over with a fork.
- Bake crust 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges. While crust bakes, whisk together all filling ingredients in a large bowl until very smooth, set aside.
- When crust is done, whisk filling mixture one last time and pour over hot crust. Lower oven temp to 325 degrees. Continue to bake another 15-18 minutes at 325, or until filling is just set in the center. Allow the pan to cool on a wire rack completely, then refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Refrigerating overnight works as well.
- Cut cooled bars into 16 squares using a long sharp knife for neat edges. Dust with grated lemon zest or top with a dollop of coconut whipped cream and serve. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.