Chocolate Coconut Bars
January 27, 2019
- 32 roasted and unsalted hazelnuts or macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 ½ cups of unsweetened coconut shreds or flakes
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
Chocolate Layer & Drizzle:
- 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips (I recommend Enjoy Life, they are GF, DF and soy free)
- 1 ¼ teaspoons of coconut oil
- Line an 8 ½ X 9 ½” brownie pan with parchment or wax paper and set aside.
- Add all the coconut layer ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until it is wet and sticky with smaller but noticeable coconut pieces. Pour coconut mixture into pan and using a rubber spatula, press down and smooth out until it’s a tightly packed and even layer. Place in freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate for the chocolate layer with the coconut oil until smooth. Remove the coconut layer from the freezer and brownie pan but still on parchment and cut bars into rectangle bars. One by one dip the bottom of the bars in the chocolate to create a thin coating and return to parchment paper on a larger cookie sheet with room in between the bars.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts sparingly on top of the coconut layer while pressing down very gently.
- With left over melted chocolate, place in a small piping bag with a fine tip or plastic bag with a very small tip cut off and pipe the chocolate in a zigzag motion across each bar.
- Place the cookie sheet with bars into the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Take out of the freezer for 10-15 minutes before serving.