Black Bean Soup
March 25, 2019
- 1 Tablespoon coconut or grape seed oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried or fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 15oz. cans black beans drained but not rinsed
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Celtic sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- 1/2 avocado, cubed for garnish
- In a soup pot, heat oil on medium heat and add onion and stir until onions are translucent. Stir in spices and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add in black beans, water or vegetable broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer uncovered for 25 minutes. With an immersion blender puree the soup for about a minute. It should be mostly pureed, but still with some good chunks and texture. If you do not have an immersion blender, transfer about half of soup to a traditional blender to puree, then return the puree to the pot. Stir in the chopped cilantro.