Banana and Toasted Coconut Muffins
November 1, 2018
- 1/2 cup shredded (large flake) unsweetened coconut
- 2 ¼ cup blanched almond flour
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed (or ground chia seed)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large ripe bananas
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (4 if you like it sweeter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spread coconut on a small baking sheet and toast for 5-10 minutes. Check at 5 minutes to see progress. To make sure the coconut toasts evenly, toss half way between baking. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine your baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Wait till it bubbles then add this to your banana egg mix batter. Gently stir.
- Mix your almond flour, baking powder, spices, sea salt, and flax. In another bowl whisk your eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup, and melted oil or butter. Place your bananas in a mixer or mash until soft, add your egg batter and mix until smooth batter is formed. A stand mixer or hand mixer works.
- Pour your wet mix (with the banana) in with the dry flour/spice mix and gently mix all together. Fold in 1/3 cup toasted coconut.
- Spoon into muffin cups to fill 2/3 to 3/4 way full. Top with extra toasted coconut, and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Makes 12-14 muffins