December 30, 2018
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup palm oil shortening
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 pounds of organic apples
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, pulse all ingredients except egg to create thick crumbs, then pulse in the egg until a dough forms. Gather the dough into a ball prior to rolling or pressing into the tart pan. If the dough is overly sticky, you can wrap it in plastic wrap and flatten into a disc, then chill until it firms up. You can also chill the dough this way until ready to use. If so, remove from the fridge to soften it up prior to using.
- Roll out the dough into a circle between two sheets of parchment. Remove the top parchment sheet and place the 9" tart pan upside-down over the dough, then using the bottom parchment paper, flip the dough into the tart pan. Finish by pressing it into the bottom and sides of the tart pan to fit. This dough will break easily but it also repairs easily. Make sure to have all sides and bottom even in thickness.
- Once pressed into the tart pan, gently pierce the dough with a fork all over so it doesn't puff up while baking. Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until barely set.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Remove the skin and core from apples and cut in half. With the cut side down, cut the apples in 1/8" slices and place them in a large bowl. Add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt and lemon juice and use your hands to gently toss and coat the apples. Let apples sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Drain the apples through a sieve, reserving the liquid. Simmer the liquid with ghee until it's reduced to at least half to a thicker consistency.
- Overlap the slices in the tart pan, starting from the outside edge and spiraling towards the center. Fill in gaps with with apple slices so that all apples slices are packed tightly. Pour half of the reduced liquid over the apples. Dissolve the preserves to the remaining liquid and keep warm.
- Cover the pie with foil and steam vents and bake for 30-40 minutes until the apples are tender. Remove the foil and brush the top of the tart with preserve mixture. Bake for another 10-15 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the apple mixture is bubbling.
- Cool and serve.